Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sshhh...dare I say it's quiet

SShhhh.....it's really quiet here. I can't believe I just said that, now the noise fairies will probably curse me with screaming kids, barking dogs, thunder and car alarms. Funny, seriously I just heard thunder...I knew I shouldn't have said it :) Whew it's been one of those days. I truly feel blessed for each and every one of my children but I tell ya, some days....well that's it, just some days.
Lilly is teething. Poor baby's gums hurt so bad. She doesn't cry and scream but she has taken to making this weird noise. I can't quite explain it, it's just a constant whining growling kinda noise. She buries her face in to me and makes the noise till she falls asleep. I think she just wants me to know she is in pain and I am getting the message LOUD and clear. My shirt and hers are constantly soaked with the never ending slobber coming from her mouth and obviously putting her down makes the pain a zillion times worse.
Zoey, well Zoey is 2, what more can I say? She doesn't quite grasp the concept of being quiet so the baby can sleep. She does try, but quickly forgets, as in a second later she's singing and yelling at the dog for eating her candy.
Noise....my house is noise. Now don't get me wrong I think I really do love the noise. I grew up with 7 sisters so I'm used to the noise. I love watching my kids act silly and sing off key. There are some days though, that the noise just kinda gets to you. You know the days when you actually take a deep breath and there is the sound of the tv, grass cutting outside, cars driving by, computer keys being tapped, a baby babbling, a toddler playing, a 7yr old singing her heart out, a 9 yr old bored (so of course I must be told that numerous times) and a 12 yr old......nope, she's the quiet one. Those days you think your ears just may be bleeding. Yeah, it's been one of those days.
So, now here I sit at 1:00am and the house is quiet. Seriously the only noise I hear is the ice maker and the tapping of my fingers on the keyboard. I know I should go to bed but sometimes you just want to enjoy the quiet for a little while even if it means sacrificing your own precious sleep.
I'm curious as to where others find their quiet time. I just can't seem to find it till it's past the time I should be sleeping. This is my time, my time to re-energize, my time to just breathe.
I am really bad about taking me time even when it's given to me. My dear husband will take all the kids to the store, etc and I get so excited. Woohoo quiet time for momma, but guess what, I'm lost. I'm lost when it's too quiet. Deep down past my bleeding ear drums and my pounding head is this unfathomable love of the noise. I guess the noise tells me my kids are alive and healthy. The noise tells me they are creative and opinionated (that's a nice way to put it, right?). The noise means family to me. I grew up with it, I live with it now and I dread the day that I will wish for the noise again.
Goodnight all. I'm off to cuddle in bed with my 2 youngest...who by the way snore LOUDLY, and I will enjoy every second.

No comments: